1) The statistician
2) The doctor
3) Another doctor
The ones that got away
1) Name a year in which Les Misérables is set
2) Which fashion designer is most associated with hot pants and the miniskirt?
3) In which part of the body would you find the metacarpal?
4) Which actor (who has a flowery name) played Pike in Dad's Army?
5) In which river can you find the pink dolphin?
6) In Jaws, who said "we're gonna to need a bigger boat"?
7) Who said "I taught them everything they know, but not everything I know"?
8) In which Swedish port is Wallander set?
9) According to the novel, which city has 'A room with a view'?
10) In which Irish county is the Giant's Causeway?
11) Which English town famously has a crooked spire?
12) Cardiff stands on which river?
2) Mary Quant
3) The hand
4) Ian Lavender
5) The Amazon
6) Martin Brody
7) James Brown
10) County Antrim
12) The Taff
1) We all thought it included the storming of the Bastille, so went with 1789. (Don't forget, you can remember the date of that (July 14th) because it is the birthday of Nicholas Cage's daughter in Con-Air.)
2) I don't have a record of our guess for this, but suffice to say it wasn't a very good one.
3) Despite having two (medical) doctors on the team, we got this one wrong, going for wrist. It seems you probably shouldn't bother doing a medical degree solely to improve at pub quizzes.
4) Even with the flower clue our lack of Dad's Army knowledge showed here. We had a long struggle trying to think of a man's name that sounded like a flower: "Oak, that's a manly name, right?" "...sure, why not."
5) We weren't the only team to go Yangtze for this one, presumably thinking of the extinct Baiji. As it turns out, Wikipedia reckons there are two 'pink dolphins', the other being found in Southeast Asia.
6) Our answer of "the shark" did not even raise a smile from the quizmaster, which was disappointing. Some later research suggests it's actually "you", not "we" who needs the boat.
7) We thought this was maybe about the Beatles, and so went with Ravi Shankar. One of our more ridiculous punts, I think.
8) I only knew two places in Sweden: Stockholm (because it's the capital) and Malmö (because of Eurovision). Neither helped us out here.
9) A poor miss on this one. We went Venice (to be fair, there are some quite nice views to be had there).
10) I'm pretty certain I have never got a quiz question about Irish counties correct.
11) UK geography hurts us again - this fact didn't even ring a bell (ho-ho).
12) Excruciating. Although it seems there is some uncertainty of whether Taffy stems from the river, or from the name Dafydd.