Thursday 26 March 2015

According to Fedde Le Grand, Detroit is 'lovely'

Your targets this week:

1+ out of 11: Well done, you beat us!
3+ out of 11: We'd have won with you on our team!

The attendees
1) The statistician
2) The doctor
3) The left-fielder

The ones that got away
1) Name the song from the lyrics: "Now that the party is jumping/With the bass kicked in and the Vegas are pumpin'/Quick to the point, to the point no faking/I'm cooking MC's like a pound of bacon".
2) Which French explorer founded Detroit? (Surname suffices.)
3) In terms of population, which is the largest capital city in Central America and the Caribbean?
4) Da Vinci's The Last Supper is supposedly based on an account in which Gospel?
5) Who said "Oh, the places I've been and the things I've seen."? Was it Bugs Bunny, Joseph Stalin, or Hulk Hogan?
6) In terms of area, which is the largest four-letter country?
7) Who was President of the United States when the original Purple Heart was introduced?
8) Which of these companies was founded first: Reebok, Adidas, or Nike?
9) 3 point question: In Monopoly Here and Now: The World Edition, there are three properties corresponding to cities in Canada (Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver). Which other country is also represented in the game by three different cities?

The answers


Our excuses


How did you do? Would you have beaten us (1 or more points)? Would you have helped us win (3 or more points)? Let the world know with the poll below, then read on for my alternative questions (loosely) inspired by this week's Ones That Got Away!


My alternative questions
1) Vanilla Ice has claimed he purchased the publishing rights to which song, saying it made more financial sense than paying out royalties?
2) What portmanteau nickname for the city of Detroit is also the name of an American record company?
3) Name the country whose capital, despite having a 'city proper' population of around 22 million people, contains fewer than 2% of the national population.
Question 4
4) Using the version shown here, can you pick out Judas?
5) Which British Overseas Territory, currently home to just a few dozen people, is largely inhabited by descendants of the Bounty mutineers and the Tahitians who accompanied them?
6) The grape variety Syrah, used primarily to produce red wine, is also known by what name which it shares with an Iranian city?
7) Every US President from John F. Kennedy to Bill Clinton has been awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom - except who?
8) Sometimes referred to as the 'Nike tick', what is the name of Nike's logo?
9) For one point each: identify these three Monopoly 'special editions' based on the least and most valuable properties, and the currency used. (You don't have to get the precise name of the edition, just the location/franchise.)
a) Arkell's Brewery and The Magic Roundabout (£)
b) Dagobah Swamp and Coruscant Imperial Palace (Credits)
c) Pumpkin Hill and Mad Gear Zone (Rings)

The answers


How did you do on my alternative questions? Have another poll!

4 comments:

  1. Loved your alternative Monopoly questions! (Especially as I managed to get them all, I knew getting a job in Swindon would pay for off something, eventually...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, awesome :D I had a lot of fun trying to research those, as obviously there are *loads* of them - surprisingly difficult getting hold of property lists though.

      Delete
  2. I picked the USA over China on the World Edition monopoly question on exactly the same logic as you did. I also picked Mexico City as the most populous city, though I did have a strong suspicion if is considered as North America.

    I got the one about the grape variety in your questions. My first cat was a semi-longhair who was probably part-Persian, so I consulted an atlas for a placename somewhere in Persia, and chose Shiraz. Not being a wine drinker, I didn't find out about the grape variety until a few years later. He was a lovely cat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Further reasoning for the questions that I should've gotten/possibly blew for us:

    1) from Ice Ice Baby: "Now that the party is jumping / With the bass kicked in and the Vegas are pumpin'" /// from Pump Up The Jam: "And the jam is pumpin' / Look ahead the crowd is jumpin'". I was pretty sure we were wrong, but given how impossible it is to make out AND transcribe every lyric for these types of questions, I figured maybe I didn't hear the other parts right. Swing and a miss from the guy who should get those ones!
    2) In my memory I either said or thought "Charlemagne?" and promptly realized I have no business involving myself in history questions.
    3) Did we ask about Mexico counting? I've always heard Mexico as part of North America (with Central starting at Guatemala)... boy, I must've had a few pints that night.
    4) I think we pretty much had to guess a less-obvious one here because we were trailing so hard. Would've said John easily if defending a lead. Sigh.
    5) Couldn't figure out why I had Dr. Seuss in my head as the answer the whole time.
    6) Did we even think of Iran? Or were we just debating Peru and Chad? I was all-in on Chad, because of the meta-game rule that "Chad is a funny name for a country."
    7) Well, good thing FDR wasn't right because I might've just died on that hill. The question said Purple Heart!!!
    8) A coin flip, because I knew the answer couldn't be Nike, which I know only peripherally the history of their logo (PSU student in the 60s or 70s invented it for like 50 bucks) and their (rather remarkable) use of one marketing agency (W+K) for nearly their entire existence. I know things for stupid reasons.
    9) Is "Monopoly Here and Now World Edition" remarkable for any reason other than that there are 3 canadian cities on it? Bleh.

    ReplyDelete