Thursday 29 January 2015

The world's tallest flagpole is in Tajikistan

Your targets this week:

We won this week, but could you have done even better?
The attendees
1) The statistician
2) The doctor

The ones that got away
Question 5
1) Rank these five regimes in descending order of desirability according to Plato: Aristocracy, Democracy, Oligarchy, Timocracy, Tyranny.
2) 'Juche' is a fundamental principle of the ruling political ideology of North Korea - what does it mean?
3) In what year did South Korea have its first free elections?
4) "There is no subjection so perfect as that which keeps the appearance of freedom." is a quote from which work: Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler, The Social Contract by Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Das Kapital by Karl Marx, or On Liberty by John Stuart Mill?
5) Name the party which uses this flag - be careful of the details!
6) What term describes Japanese erotic drawings from the Edo period?
7) What newspaper was embroiled in a major controversy in 2005 concerning cartoons depicting the Islamic prophet Muhammad?
8) The phrase 'back to the drawing board' was first coined in a cartoon in what publication?

The answers


Our excuses


How did you do? Would you have beaten us (1 or more correct)? Let the world know with the poll below, then read on for my alternative questions (loosely) inspired by this week's Ones That Got Away!


My alternative questions
1) There are five Platonic solids: objects whose faces are all the same shape. The cube is one example, as it consists of six faces, all of which are squares. What shape are the faces of the 12-faced dodecahedron? (If you're stumped, why not try drawing one?)
2) North Korea is the world's most militarized society with (as of July 2013) 9,495,000 active, reserve and paramilitary personnel. To within 5%, what percentage of North Korea's total population does this represent?
3) 'North Korea South Korea' inevitably leads us to that essential area of trivia: We Didn't Start the Fire by Billy Joel. Two people mentioned in the song were at one point married, name both of them.
4) Hitler began writing Mein Kampf in prison following his role in the Munich Putsch at the Bürgerbräukeller. How is the Munich Putsch more commonly/informally known?
Question 8
5) Along with China, four other countries are officially considered to be 'nuclear-weapon states' under the terms of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. Name all four.
6) Shunga translates literally as 'picture of spring' (spring being a euphemism for sex), but what word for Japanese comics translates as 'whimsical drawings'?
7) In the magazine name Charlie Hebdo, 'Hebdo' is short for the word hebdomadaire, which means what in English?
8) Which artist's name is missing from this New Yorker cartoon caption?

The answers


How did you do on my alternative questions? Have another poll!

6 comments:

  1. Wow. I would have been /useless/ here. Worse than useless, given my tendency to buffalo poorly-reasoned answers onto answer sheets from time to time. :)

    Had the same order as you for Plato with Tim/Dem swapped, because I figured it was like (everyone in charge > all people named tim in charge > a few cronies in charge > a few hemophiliacs in charge > a large dinosaur in charge) seemed like a descending order of bad choices. (note: only one of the above definitions was a joke, the other was the best guess I had for what it meant.)

    For Juche I got lazy and went with "filial piety" because I know nothing about Korea, apparently. I also went with 1954 for the election because I figured the war's end had something to do with the answer.

    I got the book wrong too, opting for Marx's "whoa isn't your mind blown" style, but ironically if I had heard the doctor's "...in chains" pondering I may have recognized that it was Rousseau and combined to a correct answer. Then again, probably not. Because pints and guessing and books. And the flag... well I guess I didn't give myself time, either, because I wrote "Communist party of Russia," erased "of Russia," and moved on.

    6 was maddening because I'd definitely read about it in the past few months, I gave up and wrote an answer I knew was wrong (sumi-e) -- poor form.

    I realized I didn't know what the Danish paper was called, either, so I frustratedly wrote Charlie Hebdo. And by the time I saw the last one, I was so defeated that I wrote it again.

    Did much better on yours -- although I should really listen to that Billy Joel song, because it comes up a LOT. Hmm... on second thought, I'm going to not listen to Billy Joel & enjoy life.

    Also, yay! A quiz I neither wrote nor attended! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, Billy Joel is both amazing *and* useful for quizzing. Blasphemy.

      I'm trying to decide how a system where people called Tim are in charge would fit into my ranking of regimes. I don't know very many people called Tim.

      Delete
  2. I scored zilch on the first set of questions too - and I didn't know what a timocracy was either.

    I did get seven of your questions though, and was only 1% out on question two, in spite of making a guess on North Korea's population size based on nothing more than the facts in the question, a rough idea of how big it looks on the map and some luck,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oof, bad luck - and sorry the first set were so horrendous this week - it's from one of the more...interesting quizzes we do here.

      Delete
  3. A solid enough three on the first set (I really need to get round to reading The Social Contract...), and five on your set (I somehow managed to remember that India has nuclear weapons while forgetting about Russia - not my finest hour).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice work :) Sorry about the nuclear weaopns question; I felt like it was *verging* on being a trick (as other countries have them), but I thought it was interesting that there are these distinctions between 'official' and 'unofficial' ones.

      Delete