Thursday 10 July 2014

Ticket to Ride is not only a Beatles song but also an award-winning board game!

Your targets this week:

We won this week (hooray), but as always a score of 1 or more means you knew something we didn't!

The attendees
1) The statistician
2) The doctor
3) The oceanographer

The ones that got away
1) Which was the only Four Tops single to top the UK charts?
2) Which band had an album cover featuring the members' faces on Mount Rushmore?
3) Who recorded the song Eye of the Tiger, the theme for Rocky III?
4) On which Beatles album did Ticket to Ride first appear?
5) Appearing in seven 007 movies, which actor has played Bond the most times?
6) Timothy Dalton played Bond in two movies, The Living Daylights (1987) and which other (released in 1989)? (And yes, just in case you were considering it, you can rule him out of the previous question!)
7) Which blue-veined cheese is named after an Italian village?
8) Which is the only Dickens novel with a female narrator?
9) Which is the highest mountain in Canada?

The answers


The excuses


How did you do? Would you have beaten us (1 or more correct)? Let the world know with the poll below, then read on for my alternative questions inspired by this week's Ones That Got Away!



My alternative questions
1) Essential trivia time: which US city is also known as Motown, from which the music genre and record label get their name?
2) During which US President's tenure did the construction of the Mount Rushmore sculpture end?
3) To date (July 2014) how many feature-length movies are there in the Sylvester Stallone Rocky series?
4) The album Help! includes an exclamation mark in its title and so sometimes makes writing about it feel a touch awkward. Which long-running US game show's name also ends with an exclamation mark? (Legendary contestant Ken Jennings once commented that the exclamation mark was pronounced "paid for my house".)
5) The one piece of James Bond trivia I can remember: which 1968 musical was loosely based by an Ian Fleming novel?
6) Licence to Kill was the first Eon Productions Bond film not to use the title of an Ian Fleming story. Since then only two Bond films have shared titles with an Ian Fleming novel or short story - name both.
7) About whose imprisonment did Émile Zola protest with his famous open letter "J'accuse ...!"? (Surname only suffices.)
8) Which three-letter pseudonym did Dickens employ for many years, supposedly inspired by hearing the name Moses spoken by someone with a cold?
9) My new way for remembering that the highest mountain in Canada is Mount Logan is because it is also the name adopted by a Canadian superhero. Born James Howlett, which X-Man is named after the animal whose fierce temper he is supposed to possess?

The answers


7 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic site. I scored 7 & 8 but accidentally voted two 8s. I'm a huge fan of quizzing and shall be on Mastermind this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! And well done with those scores, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for you on the show.

      Delete
  2. I've had Deep Purple in Rock in my possesion, in one format or another, since 'borrowing' my elder brother's lp back in the early 80's, so didn't even have to think about that. And Survivor - Eye of the Tiger is something I know about as simply as I know my own name - still have my 7" single. I've only read a couple of Dickens novels, but Bleak House is one of them (thanks to my crush on Denis Lawson, who was in the TV series), so I remembered that Esther narrates part of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice :) It's always fun when questions hit those bits of knowledge. I've never read a single Dickens novel myself, which comes back to haunt me at quizzes with alarming regularity.

      Delete
  3. Oh, and Ticket To Ride (Europe) is in my board games collection. I won a game just a couple of weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just missed on the Bleak House question - went for Little Dorrit too. TTR is a great game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you of course have our sympathies on that one - and yes, I think TTR was the second 'proper' board game I was exposed to (after Settlers of Catan).

      Delete