1+ out of 10: Well done, you beat us!
3+ out of 10: We'd have won with you on our team!
1) The statistician
2) The doctor
3) The secret German
4) The metallurgist
5) The rich-person otherkin
6) The fire spitter
7) The whiskey guy
The ones that got away
1) 2 point question: which TV series popularized the term 'friend zone', and which character in that series was called the 'mayor of the friend zone'? (1 point for each.)
2) Which of these is not a real dating website: a) 420 Dating; b) Cheapskate Match; c) Gluten Free Singles; d) Meet an Inmate; e) Salad Match
3) Which former French international soccer player is now the coach of Real Madrid?
5) The top 'how to' search by Canadians using google in 2015 was 'How to vote'. What app completes "How to use _____" to give the second-most searched?
6) 2 point question: Which US state is the only one where execution by firing squad remains an option? (N.B. This question does not concern Oklahoma, where the firing squad is an option if lethal injection is found unconstitutional.)
7) 2 point question: Which major talking point or meme of 2015 is represented by this 'abstracted' image?
2) Cheapskate Match
3) Zinedine Zidane
4) Jurassic World and Furious 7 (also known as Fast Seven, and Fast & Furious 7)
7) Pizza rat
The doctor's excuses
2) I dunno, man... I've almost literally never dated anyone, and I know that the love world is a weird place these days. All of these seemed fairly ridiculous and *thus* plausible. We went with Salad Match, and I fully expect it to be a real thing by the time this post is published, TBH.
3) Despite The Statistician being all about dem footballz, this was a thing that had only happened that afternoon (or something) and thus was a totally acceptable miss... despite being super big news. We said Thierry Henry, and could not have been more wrong, in both a literal and a follicular sense.
4) We had Jurassic World, but (not being big cinema-goers) went with one of the only other movies we'd seen in 2015 - Avengers: The One Where Tony Accidentally Makes A Genocidal Robot.
5) So, as far as I understand it, Snapchat is where one can take photos, put text on them, send them to another person, and rest assured in the knowledge that the picture will self-delete after a predetermined time period *and* (perhaps most importantly) be told if the recipient took a screencap of your intimate missive. So, if that's true, I can see how that's not particularly straightforward. We put Tinder, because it's popular and people might well be too dumb to know which direction left and right are. Final fact: THE SPOOKY SPECTRE THAT'S THE MASCOT OF SNAPCHAT IS CALLED "GHOSTFACE CHILLAH"!!!!!!!!!!!!
6) We had not very much time for this answer, I think, but even if we had had time I feel we wouldn't have had a great chance of a correct answer. The only think that Utah makes me think of is Normandy landings, Mormons, and that one film festival... I don't particularly think of it as a firing squad sort of place. Well anyway, I'm updating my "things I associate Utah with" list, is what I'm saying... I guess.
7) I think this abstracted picture actually captures the essence of Pizza Rat (which we had heard of... although I prefer that crab with the cigarette), but it just hadn't been a big enough of a deal for any of us to think of it. We suggested that maybe it was a "drone" in some way. Clutching at straws 4 dayz.
How did you do? Would you have beaten us (1 or more point)? Would you have helped us win (3 or more points)? Let the world know with the poll below, then read on for my alternative questions (loosely) inspired by this week's Ones That Got Away!
My alternative questions
2) Which religious group is served by the dating website LDSsingles.com?
3) Zidane is nicknamed 'Zizou', which sounds a bit like 'Zazu', the bird (pictured) voiced by Rowan Atkinson in Disney's The Lion King. What type of bird is Zazu?
4) At time of writing, the 3rd most-watched YouTube video is the song See You Again recorded for the soundtrack of Furious 7, by Wiz Khalifa featuring Charlie Puth. For 1 point each, name the two artists behind the videos that occupy second and first place.
6) Of the 6 US cities to have hosted an Olympic Games (summer or winter), only 2 are currently state capitals. Salt Lake City (capital of Utah) is one, what's the other?
7) Also the term for a historical Italian chief of state, what four-letter term is used to describe this meme (pictured)? For a second point, what breed of dog is featured?
2) Mormons/Latter Day Saints
4) Psy (for Gangnam Style) and Taylor Swift (for Blank Space)
6) Atlanta (Georgia)
7) Doge, Shiba Inu
How did you do on my alternative questions? Have another poll!